[argyllcms] Colour profiles in Vista and how are they used?

  • From: Ross Marchant <geometrikal@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2009 21:02:36 +1000

Hi all,I've just calibrated two monitors with Argyllcms and got two .icm colour
profiles. I installed the profiles with dispwin -I "..."  and loaded them into
the video card with dispwin -L. The screens changed and everything looks
fantastic, but I really would like to know how these .icm profiles are used in
Vista. Firstly, when vista starts, even though the .icm profiles are set as
default for each screen they start off with what looks like a linear profile
and I have to use dispwin to reload them. From what I have read this is a
bug?Secondly, how do profile aware apps like Adobe Lightroom change .icm
profile? Do they adjust the picture because of it? If I use dispwin -c to clear
the video lut and then load lightroom, would lightroom make adjustments for the
.icm profile? If the video lut was already loaded with the profile, would
lightroom still make changes to the picture and therefore distort it? I notice
that Lightroom does apply some sort of colour correction to the picture, this
especially noticeable when moving Lightroom between monitors as you see the
picture looking a bit wrong (previous monotor calibration?) then half a second
later some adjustment is applied and it looks fine (adjusted with this
monitor's *.icm taken into account?)Thirdly, in the advanced tab of the Color
Managment dialog, should Viewing conditions profile be set to System Default
(WCS profile for ICC viewing conditions) ?I'm sorry if this post is a little
off topic but I couldn't find the answers anywhere else and I figured this
forum would be sure to know. Thanks to the creators for the great software! Is
there a tray app for windows to load the profiles, run a simple calibration
etc? I was thinking of making one.
Want to marry your mail? Combine your email accounts here!
http://livelife.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=633386