[argyllcms] Colorvision Spyder 2 Express + LED monitor

  • From: Kris Jensen <kristofor.jensen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2013 11:39:28 -0700

Hi everyone,

I have a Spyder2Express that I've used for years with good results on two
machines.  My Fedora laptop (which has an LED screen) with argyllcms and
with the OEM software on my windoze machine and a big honkin' CRT monitor.

I recently moved, ditching the CRT in the process and buying a 22" LED
screen by LG (sorry, I don't have the model number in front of me).

My laptop also has an LED screen and I always had good results with
calibrating it.

Since buying the LED screen for my desktop, I've gotten really funky
results when trying to calibrate it (using the stock OEM software).
Everything was really washed out and the darks almost non-existant.

My question is 3 fold:

1. Could my Spyder2 be dead?  It was sent by train for >4000km and it's
winter in canada....so everything was frozen pretty well.   I haven't had a
chance to re-run the calibration on my laptop to see if the same effect is
present there.  I would obviously back up my previous profile first...

2. Is this calorimeter just a bit too long in the tooth for new LED
monitors?  I didn't think so at first since my laptop is LED but it is a
few years old and I'm not certain if the inlaying technology is really the
same thing or if the desktop screen is more evolved.

3.  If the calorimeter is dead I'm now in the market for a new one.  I
don't print but plan to do so soon and also it drives me bonkers to see my
pictures blown out on someone's projector or hdtv.  I've been leaning
towards the colomunki photo as a replacement but wanted to have an
argyllcms guru give their blessing before making any particular decision.

A million thanks in advance and ttfn.

Kristofor Jensen