[argyllcms] Re: Colormunki Windows Driver

  • From: "Bruce Houston" <bhouston1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 02:03:33 -0600

Hi Graeme,

Thank you again for your help with the Munki driver for Win 7 x64; and
please forgive my being a pest by asking for additional assistance.  I
really, really look forward to using ArgyllCMS with the Munki.

I believe that the ColorMunki.inf file needs a tweak or two.  First, the
Signature line of the Version section reads "$Chicago$" and causes the
driver installation to fail in Win7 x64 with the message "this driver is for
a different platform" (or the like).  Changing this parameter to "$Windows
NT$" gets rid of this error and allows the driver to install.

After installation, however, the following three driver components show up
in Device Manager under "LibUSB-Win32 Devices"-->"ColorMunki (Argyll)":

c:\Windows\system32\drivers\libusb0.sys
c:\Windows\system32\libusb0.dll
c:\Windows\syswow64\libusb0.dll

Neither libusb0_x64.dll nor libusb0_x64.sys is to be found.  I believe that
this may be due to other problems in ColorMunki.inf.  Problem is, with my
level of familiarity with .inf files, I would really be mucking around by
attempting to further mod ColorMunki.inf.

Also, Plug-N-Play re-installs the X-rite ColorMunki driver ever time that
the device is plugged into USB, notwithstanding that I specify "delete
driver files" when uninstalling the X-rite driver.  Perhaps that behaviour
would stop if I can get the Argyll x64 driver correctly installed.  I am not
sure about that, though, because the Argyll driver shows up under a
different category of devices in Device Manager ("LibUSB" vs. "X-rite").
Thus, I am not sure whether Windows can recognize that it is installing and
making active a second driver for the same device.

Any further thoughts would be much appreciated.

Best regards,
Bruce