[argyllcms] Re: Colormunki Photo & Dell up2414q led back-lit

  • From: Richard Kirk <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2015 13:32:36 +0000
On 5 Mar 2015, at 13:02, Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The green primary in particular is extreme, and is close to the point
> of maximum variability of observers medium and long wavelength cones.
> The red is rather way out there too, and although it's broader than
> the blue and green primaries, it's out in a region where the long
> wavelength cones are dropping off in sensitivity, and have high
> variabilityamongst observers.
>
> So in summary you may be experiencing observer induced metameric failure.
> The instrument is measuring color as the standard observer sees it,
> and you aren't a standard observer (very few people are exactly
> on the average).

This isn't the only problem. You also have effects from peripheral vision.

When Sony started making broadcast-quality LCD displays, people would put them
next to the old CRT displays. The primaries had been arranged to match, and the
white point had been fixed to D65. However, people consistently saw the LCD
monitors as being orange. The CIE 2-degree observer is not perfect, and may
fail to predict some variations with spectrum, but it is unlikely to be that
far out. However, if you are looking at a blank screen, then the screen is
probably over 15 degrees across. The macula has a yellow dye over it, and
contains now blue sensing cones at the centre. The cones are also at a
different angle to the incoming light then in the periphery, which slightly
affects their wavelength. Finally, there is more opsin dye in the cones when
working at typical monitor light levels, then at the 1000 nits for the CIE
experiments. All these things will mean you will see a slightly different set
of spectra out of the corner of your eyes. However, the brain knows the screen
is uniform white, so it tries to fudge an average white from what the macula is
seeing and what the peripheral vision is seeing.

This came more obvious when we started getting high-gamut displays like the
Barco DP90P with its intense red. These can give you the paradoxical result
that an image from a projector could match an image from projected film for
every colour detail because it was matched according to the 2-degree observer,
but give a nagging sensation that the overall colour balance was out (the
projector white was brighter and was often violet).

There are other standard observer models. There was a 10-degree observer model
from the sixties, but that was not a success. There are some newer CIE
wide-angle observers. However, these wider observer models are rarely as
consistent as the 2-degree observer. We all have similar cones and rods, but
our macular dye does vary a lot, so what looks right for one person would not
look right for another. Either we start using displays with six primaries, or
we just have to put up with these differences for large patches.

Cheers.
Richard Kirk