[argyllcms] Colormanaging scanned negatives.

  • From: "Christoph C. Feldhaim" <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 21:07:21 +0100

Hello everybody on the list and thank you for your time!

I have the following idea and questions:

I am scanning 6x7 negatives using a Nikon LS 9000 scanner and
Silverfast 8 software.
Silverfast provides a feature called "Negafix" to get positives from
the negative scan.
It works very well, but has some limitations due to its nature.

I want to try a different workflow to get colorcorrected positives
from my scans.
The idea is, to
1. get the raw data from the scanner (Gamma=1),
2. De-mask the negative using Photoshop and a subtractive layer with
the orange mask color (derived from an averaged scan of the orange
mask) and then
3. Profile at this state using a target and Argyll.

My questions are:

A.) What would be the best settings for colprof, to create a profile
for this purpose?
B.) Could this process be refined, by taking a simple colorchecker
target on each batch of film, to even out film / lab variations?

Thank you very much
~Chris