[argyllcms] Re: Colorimeter recommendations?

  • From: Roger Breton <graxx@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2012 21:26:59 -0400

Graeme,

Is someone going to pass you a i1pro2?

Best / Roger

-----Original Message-----
From: argyllcms-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:argyllcms-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Graeme Gill
Sent: June-03-12 8:26 PM
To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [argyllcms] Re: Colorimeter recommendations?

Stephen T wrote:
> Any recommendations?

> I have read on Dry Creek Photo that the Spyder 3 is reasonably accurate:

Given that the Spyder 4 has been out a little while, it's not clear how long
the Spyder 3 will be available new.

> http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/Calibration/MonitorCalibrationHardw
> are.html#HardwareTested
>
> What about the colorhug? Sounds interesting.

Cheap and cheerful, but note that it's not running on MS Win without some
effort (installing the USB drivers rather than relying on HID), and not at
all on OS X. Currently comparable to the Colorimètre HCFR colorimeter
(although the ColorHug has a better acceptance angle for measuring
displays), but maybe the accuracy will improve a bit in the future, once a
calibration procedure gets straightened out.

> I don't have a spectrophotometer to build calibration matrices. I want
> something that's reasonably accurate out-of-the-box and not expensive!

i1 display pro or ColorMunki Display are currently head and shoulders above
any other device in the consumer price bracket, and appears to be equal with
the DISCUS in accuracy. The i1pro display is fast too. I had some
reservations about its ability to handle refresh type displays, but I'm now
quite pleased with its capabilities when used in refresh mode with my latest
Argyll drivers.
It would be my choice right at the moment, with the Spyder4 the next choice.