[argyllcms] ColorMunki conforms to new XRGA Standard

  • From: Juergen Lilien <jp.lilien@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 05:35:07 +0100

Hello all,

I found it quite interesting to read in the X-Rite XRGA whitepaper(*1),
that the ColorMunki (Photo/Design) already conforms to the new X-Rite
XRGA standard.

I'm still struggling to fully understand what's the magic behind the
XRGA concept, but according to the whitepaper there is the possibility
for measurement differences as high as 1,6 dE*ab (mean: 0,6 dE*ab) in
comparison to an i1Pro (GretagMacbeth).

XRGA conformity has an influence on the measured spectral data, so this
must also have an influence on the measured values obtained with the
combination ColorMunki+ArgyllCMS.
This should also mean that values measured with ArgyllCMS+ColorMunki are
not direct comparable with i1Pro+ArgyllCMS based values without applying
a correction matrix.

In practice: I measured the white balance patch of my newly acquired
ColorChecker Passport with the Argyll/ColorMunki combo and got different
values (Lab D50: 81.08_0.17_-0.03) compared to
Robin D.Myers technical report on the ColorCheckerP (81.34_-0.13_0.28).
But I know, the differences in measured values don't proof that XRGA is
the reason.

Nevertheless, do you still think, that's safe to directly compare
ColorMunki and i1Pro measured values when using ArgyllCMS?

Regards, Juergen

(*1):
http://www.xrite.com/documents/literature/en/L7-492_i1iSis_RevE_FINAL_en.pdf