[argyllcms] Re: ColorMunki Photo vs EFI ES-1000

  • From: Jacek P. <jpyto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2015 22:04:13 +0200

Thanks gays for your input.
I've decided to upgrade to i1 Pro mainly because of better ergonomic and
smaller fields.

Regards
Jacek

Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 00:16:10 +0200
Subject: [argyllcms] Re: ColorMunki Photo vs EFI ES-1000
From: nordlund.per@xxxxxxxxx
To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I can't answer wich one gives the higher precision. A lot of people have
reported excellent results with the ColorMunki. The i1 Pro (the same hardware
as EFI ES-1000) has a Tungsten lamp and I don't know about the longevity of
that lamp. It's possible to make a diagnostic test (free program from X-Rite)
to see how many hours the instrument has been used. You calibrate the
instrument before measurement so I think color accuracy isn't a problem with
the Tungsten lamp.. The i1 Pro comes with or without UV-filter and I think it's
the same with the EFI. You can check this if it's important for you. The
ColorMunki has an UV-filter. The ArgyllCMS manual recommends an instrument
without UV-filter as it's possible to simulate a filter in software when you
measure papers with OBA-content. I'm not quite sure how important this is in
practice though.
I have the ColorMunki but I've never liked how it works ergonomically. It's
difficult to "turn the wheel" and it's very easy to press the button
accidentally. If you want to read smaller patches with it it's necessary to
build a ruler. I bought a used i1 Pro without UV-filter that had very few hours
according to the diagnostic test. The great thing with this meter is that it
(the same with the EFI) comes with a good ruler. To get more patches to measure
when using ArgyllCMS I make them about 9mm wide and I place the rows along the
short side of the A4 or Letter paper as the ruler limits the length of the rows
that's possible to read. By not going lower than 9mm in patch width I have
almost no reading faults. I have got very satisfactory results with the papers
I use (they are almost all without OBA-content). I haven't made any comparison
with the ColorMunki as I'm satisfied with the results I get from the i1 Pro and
the work flow works very well for me. I will keep the i1 Pro.
I hope this can be to some help or maybe you are even more confused?
Regards!

I own ColorMunki Photo and I'm quite happy with it, in fact I can only complain
on fields size required to calibrate printer. I use it to calibrate monitors
(using SpectraView) and Epson 3880 printer (using argyllcms).

Now I have a chance to replace ColorMunki with 2nd hand X-Rite EFI ES-1000 Rev.
D (I think it is the same hardware as X-Rite Pro1 vel EyeOne Pro).
Do you think is it worth to change Munki on EFI/ ?
As far as I know ColorMunki use modern LED source to illuminate fields. I don't
know how it is with EFI and whether is it durable enough to buy 2nd hand copy
without doubs.

Can you help me? Have you got any experience with ColorMunki vs EFI (EyeOne
Pro) ? (especially in context of use them with Argyllcms)
Which one will give me higher precision?

Thanks in advance
Jacek

GIF image