[argyllcms] Re: Color theory book suggestions

  • From: Marwan Daar <marwan.daar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2014 22:42:25 -0500

chapter 11 of this book has a very readable account of the original psychophysical experiments underlying the CIE chromaticity space.

http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Radiometry-Photometry-Optoelectronics-library/dp/0890066787

János Schanda also has a text (he wrote one or two chapters, and others contributed to the other chapters), which has a chapter on color management. I found this book challenging, although it was my first text that I've read on color science.

http://www.amazon.com/Colorimetry-Understanding-System-Janos-Schanda/dp/0470049049

I had to read chapter 11 of McCluney's text before I was able to understand chapter 3 of Schanda's text, which dealt with the same material.

Marwan

Hi,

Despite having spent a few years experimenting with monitor
calibration on my free time, I still feel like I'm missing fundamental
knowledge about color workflows in general, leaving me confused about
some things.

I feel like I need to read a good thick book that would cover the
theory of color workflows in great detail. Specifically, I am
interested in a book that would cover the following topics and their
implications in great depth: colorspaces, white point, illuminant,
chromatic adaptation, ICC, rendering intents, color spectrum,
metamerism, standard observer, gamma, gamut (especially gamut
mapping), contrast, deltaE, and just about anything else that could
possibly be related to the reproduction of colors on TVs and computer
displays, for video and static content. My background is software
engineering.

Does such a book exist? I tried some of these keywords on Amazon but
didn't find anything interesting. It seems most books on color theory
are aimed at artists and don't really cover the deeply technical side
of things. One of my secret goals in life is to be able to fully
understand and explain all values of collink's -i option without
breaking a sweat :)

Thanks for any suggestions!

.