[argyllcms] Re: Color management in google chrome

  • From: Ernst Dinkla <E.Dinkla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 21:11:12 +0200

On 04/25/2012 07:30 PM, George Pop wrote:

 > Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 17:07:53 +0200
 > From: E.Dinkla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 > To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 > Subject: [argyllcms] Re: Color management in google chrome
 >
 > On 04/25/2012 10:41 AM, Ernst Dinkla wrote:
 > > As I understand it Chrome has one flaw; it considers all web images as
 > > sRGB tagged. In the eyes of CM experts probably considered a big fault
 > > but what does it mean in practice? The best advice is still to use sRGB
 > > tagged images on the web. The increasing mobile web surfing done
without
 > > any CM features does not degrade that advice. Are there other flaws in
 > > Chrome ? .. it can not be its speed.
 > >
 > > I agree that everything should have CM, including phones but until that
 > > is solved is Chrome not a good choice as a stop gap solution?
 > >

 > So it uses qcms, may not be a good idea after all.
 >
 > --
 > Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst
 >
 > Dinkla Grafische Techniek
 > Quad, piëzografie, giclée
 > www.pigment-print.com

The so-called QCMS is a component of Firefox. Chrome doesn't do color
management at all. That doesn't only mean that it doesn't take into
account the image color space, it also means it doesn't take into
account your display profile.

I understand that it does not work in practice but QCMS seems to be aboard. Whether it does not work at all or just a tiny bit on some platforms does not matter, I abandoned the idea already.

Here it is listed:
http://www.beyondlinux.com/2011/04/17/open-source-toolslibraries-used-in-google-chrome-10/

Kai's message mentions QCMS in relation with Chromeproject and there are more indications.