[argyllcms] Collink and device link profiles

  • From: Michael Schulz <ms.typografik@xxxxxx>
  • To: "argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 12:09:05 +0200

Hi list,

doing some exercises with collink's device link option I made these
experiences:

rgb2cmyk-device-link-profiles are really excellent - much better gamut
transformation than with the classical way inside photoshop, especially with
high saturated primary colours and more drawing of details in darker areas.

cmyk2cmyk-device-link-profiles are producing a phenomenon that I don't
understand. All colours - for example skin tones - are too much saturated
and seem to be darker than they should be. They do appear to me almost like
gamut transformation inside photoshop without using depth balancing. I
almost tried every rendering intend (ip, ipa, ir, is, ims) - except of is
and ims the results of converted pixel images are always the same: the
saturation is too high and the images appears too dark. Using is or ims as
rendering intend for pixel image conversion produces really over saturated
results. Gamut transformation of pure colour areas (cm, cy, my, c, m, y) are
good especially using is or ims as rendering intends. Other options (fk,
fcmy) are working well.

Can I do something to reduce the saturation for cmyk2cmyk-gamut-conversion
for pixel images? May be using an abstract profile with collink?

My command lines I tried with collink were:

-v -qh -G -ke -fk -cpp -dpp inprofile.icc outprofile.icc DL_in-out.icc
-v -qh -G -ke -fk -fcmy -cpp -dpp inprofile.icc outprofile.icc DL_in-out.icc
the same also with -kt, -is and -ims

The device link profiles were built on an iMac 10.6.x

Thanks for any advice or discussion! At this occasion I have to say thank
you to all people who created Argyll and make it run and to those who gives
help and advices in Argyll's mailing list.

Michael Schulz