[argyllcms] Re: Choosing a monitor

  • From: Peter Karp <qmailing@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Frédéric Mantegazza <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 10:59:04 +0100

Dear  Frédéric,

> I was wondering if there is somewhere a database about LCD monitor
> internals?

Not that I know of. At least not which would describe what you're
asking for.

> I know that there are very good monitors, arround 1500/2000€,
> unfortunally... But what about 300-500€ products?

As a rule of thumb look for monitors with IPS panels first and then
for monitors with A-MVA or PVA panels. TN-Panels are always inferior
for color critical work. High-End hardware calibrated displays are in
the price range you have quoted and would be the best choice of
course. If you have to run a software calibration you will loose tonal
values -- which may result in visible banding of smooth gradients.

Best regards
Peter