[argyllcms] Re: Choosing a LCD monitor

  • From: Florian Höch <lists+argyllcms@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 14:07:55 +0200

I also tend to prefer IPS panels, of all the screens I've worked with sofar (some SPVA, some IPS, from Dell/NEC/Samsung), they had best color reproduction (after calibration ofcourse) and viewing angle. Also, the viewing angle that manufacturers advertise are imho useless, because they tell nothing about color desaturation which occurs when viewing off-axis. IPS tends to outperform other panel technologies in that regard most of the time, but recent SPVA also seem to do really well.

Regards,

Florian

Bruno Sanguinetti schrieb:
I have that monitor at work, and it's good.
Because it's at work, I have not really played around with it too much.
It's good quality, has all the possible features you could imagine, and
it is relatively cheap.

When I first looked at it, the colours seemed too colourful, but it
turned out that they were quite accurate, and calibrating it made little
difference.

If you are mainly working with web stuff, it's no good: colours that
look nice on it look really washed out on other screens. And if you try
to stay within the gamut of other screens, it's just depressing on a
monitor that can show such bright colours.

I guess it is the only monitor of that quality in that price range. I
would not know what to compare it with. I like IPS screens, somehow the
colours look more "subtle" on them, but I think it's more of an
impression than how the colours are actually reproduced. IPS also costs
more.

I gave you impressions rather than numbers, because I guessed you
already read some reviews.

All the best!

Bruno

On Wed, 2008-08-13 at 09:55 +0200, Frédéric wrote:
Hello,

I'm planning to upgrade my old Iiyama A901HT CRT monitor for a good LCD
(24").

What do you think of the Dell 2407WFP-HC?