[argyllcms] Change to CIECAM02 behaviour?

  • From: "Alastair M. Robinson" <profiling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2008 14:51:13 +0100

Hi,

I've been trying out the new release of Argyll and stumbled upon a problem - not sure if this is a bug, an intended change in behaviour or an unforseen side-effect of some of the CIECAM02 changes - but the viewing conditions flags for colprof and collink seem to behave differently from how they used to in 0.7b8.

When I generate profiles for my inkjet printer on glossy paper, I find I need to use the -cmd -dpp flags to lighten the output of the perceptual table. Without this adjustment, skin-tones in particular come out a little dark and muddy. The -cmd flag now seems to have far less effect than it used to.

To demonstrate, here's a softproof of an RGBXPLORER8 chart, transformed through the perceptual table, and back to sRGB via relative-colorimetric intent.

The four images are proofs using profiles generated using -cmt -dpp and -cmd -dpp, using 0.7b8 and 1.0.0 (patched) respectively.

http://mypicturepalace.com/albums/userpics/10004/7b8_mt_proof.jpg
http://mypicturepalace.com/albums/userpics/10004/7b8_md_proof.jpg
http://mypicturepalace.com/albums/userpics/10004/mt_proof.jpg
http://mypicturepalace.com/albums/userpics/10004/md_proof.jpg

Note that the two "mt" images are as near identical as makes no difference, while the two "md" images are quite different.

Is this change intentional? And if so, can I get something approaching the old behaviour with custom parameters to the -c and -d flags?

PS. an autotools version of the new release will follow shortly, as will an updated version of imgtarget, reflecting the new name for collink and new syntax for tiffgamut.

All the best,
--
Alastair M. Robinson