[argyllcms] Re: Causes of and remedy for black crush

  • From: Jan-Peter Homann <homann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 10:40:18 +0200

Hello list, hello Graeme,
From my experinece, several applications don´t allow to specify rendering intents and use the relative colorimetric intent by default for matching e.g. sRGB to to the monitor colorspace.

In this case, profiling a monitor would lead bey default to clipping in the shadows, if the monitor itself has not a perfect black.

I think, that more or less all users would prefer to have no clipping and instead a slightly lighter appearance of colors at the monitor.

This goal could be reached, if the measurement data is scaled to a perfect black before the profile is calculated.

Question:
Is there any possibility to scale measurement data before a monitor profile is calculated ?

Best regards
Jan-Peter

Am 31.07.13 10:14, schrieb Graeme Gill:
Jan-Peter Homann wrote:
 From other ICC-profiling softwares, I have seen, that matrix monitor profiles
are always
scaled to a blackpoint of L* 0 a*0 b*0

Questions:
- Is the standard setting in ArgyllCMS for monitor profiles different ?
Hi,
        The profile wouldn't be accurate if it scaled black to 0. The (V2) ICC
standard explicitly states that the colorimetric data is not to be scaled to
the black
point, and matrix profiles don't have the option of different matrices for
different
intents. To try and second guess such a thing would certainly cause issues with
profile interoperability.

- Is it possible to create matrxi monitor profiles with perfect black by a
profiling option ?
See above. It's possible to create cLUT profiles that gamut map from the source
black to the display black for perceptual and/or saturation intent, or use
a CMM with BPC.

Graeme.

--
----------  Please note the new adress --------------