[argyllcms] Re: Causes of and remedy for black crush

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 18:14:17 +1000

Jan-Peter Homann wrote:
> From other ICC-profiling softwares, I have seen, that matrix monitor profiles
> are always
> scaled to a blackpoint of L* 0 a*0 b*0
>
> Questions:
> - Is the standard setting in ArgyllCMS for monitor profiles different ?

Hi,
        The profile wouldn't be accurate if it scaled black to 0. The (V2) ICC
standard explicitly states that the colorimetric data is not to be scaled to
the black
point, and matrix profiles don't have the option of different matrices for
different
intents. To try and second guess such a thing would certainly cause issues with
profile interoperability.

> - Is it possible to create matrxi monitor profiles with perfect black by a
> profiling option ?

See above. It's possible to create cLUT profiles that gamut map from the source
black to the display black for perceptual and/or saturation intent, or use
a CMM with BPC.

Graeme.