[argyllcms] Re: Capture video card gamma LUT to ICC profile

  • From: Benjamin Shadwick <benshadwick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 22:42:54 -0800

I've used a software calibration utility called CLTest to generate a set of
LUT/gamma ramps that bring my cheap TN monitor closer to accurate sRGB, and
I would like to get that into an ICC profile so that I can have Windows 7
apply it as a system-wide LUT instead of having to depend on various
utilities to keep it uploaded into the video card for me.

Currently, I have hand-transformed the CLTest data into Monitor Calibration
Wizard format because MCW does a better job of enforcing system-wide usage
of the custom LUT than CLTest (many games try to override it as a cheap way
to allow in-game gamma adjustments), but I recently learned that Windows 7
is now able to apply VideoLUT data from an ICC profile as a system-wide
setting. However, I cannot try Windows 7's feature because I cannot find a
way to dump or convert this custom LUT into an ICC profile, which is the
only way Windows 7 itself is able to load it.

Being able to dump the video card's current gamma ramp LUT into an ICC
profile would allow users to create custom profiles using any number of
software calibration tools that don't have native support for exporting to
that format.