[argyllcms] Re: Capture One Profiles

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 12:25:22 +1000

Elle Stone wrote:

> So you see, the white balancing is done before the interpolation.

Any demosaicing algorithm that relies on a color balance, or
sums values from the different channels in a spatially
dependent fashion ("cross-contamination"), is almost
certainly wrecking the colorimetry.

A color accurate demosaicing algorithm is restricted to
transferring level independent spatial information from
one channel to another, and even then it may wreck
the colorimetry in pathological situations.
By definition it does not need a color balance.

The same applies to raw "de-noising" algorithms.

Personally I think the idea of up-sampling mosaiced image data
to the sensor positioning precision rather than the sensor
spacing precision is the triumph of marketing over good engineering.

I've yet to see any such up-sampled image look better than
rather fuzzy or full of artefacts.