[argyllcms] Re: Canon XPS printer drivers: fake CMYK or rogue CMS?

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 16:56:29 +1000

János, Tóth F. wrote:
> I just bought a cheap Canon multifunction printer and noticed that there is
> an XPS driver on Canon's site.

> I am still wondering if the printer receives color managed CMYK colors or
> RGB colors when I print CMYK colors. I guess it doesn't. However, I don't
> know how to prove it since the XPS driver seems to forcefully use an input
> color profile.

Hi,
        I don't remember all the details of the XPS driver, but a telling
thing is what the printer XPS profile colorspace is. They are supposed
to be XML, so you should be able to simply open the profile in
a text editor and check it. If it's RGB, then the driver or device
itself is saying it's an RGB device.

There may be an XPS API to tell a printer to operate in native
space for calibration & profiling, but this would need to be
researched. Alternatively there is the "null transform" method - ie.
tell XPS that the input and output colorspaces are the same.