[argyllcms] Re: Cannot get calibration/profiling to yieldgoodresults, user error?

  • From: "Alastair M. Robinson" <profiling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2009 20:03:55 +0000

Hi,

Karl H. Beckers wrote:

Then I'll try your other suggestion with the gamut-mapped profile, though it
all sounds like my hopes of using my (not sooo bad) laptop, when my two old
Sony OEM CRTs turned out to be just too dim, have been defeated and I need some
new displays ... Bummer.

OK - good luck :)

My own laptop's screen is far from great, but using that trick myself does provide some pretty reasonable, if not great, results.

There was a typo in the comment in my previous mail, BTW:

> # We profile a "reference" profile with the -S parameter - usually sRGB,

This line should, of course, have read "We provide..."

The gamut mapping trick could probably do with a little more explanation, because it's a useful technique. Without the -S parameter the profile will operate in Relative Colorimetric intent even if software has asked for Perceptual. Relative Colorimetric intent basically asks the colour management system to match colours perfectly where possible, but for those colours that can't be matched, just pick the nearest.

By providing a "reference" profile with the -S parameter, we're essentially saying "Here's a set of colours we're particularly interested in - making these look 'nice' is more important than absolute accuracy." The result is that relationships between colours are preserved (such as the detail in the parrot's head) even if overall accuracy has to be sacrificed as a result.

This technique is used more commonly for printer profiles than display profiles, but it can help for those too.

Hope this helps :)

All the best,
--
Alastair M. Robinson