[argyllcms] Re: Can anyone help with a weird OSX problem?

  • From: Quartz <quartz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 12:53:43 -0400

to be technically correct, matrix profiles don't do any
gamut mapping, and any clipping is done by the CMM
and is likely to be simplistic, per component clipping.

Note that cLUT type profiles will at least clip to the perceptually closest
in-gamut
color.

I guess a better way to word my question is; "Is my problem likely due to a clipping/mapping/colormetric/perceptual issue, or something else? Would playing with those settings be a waste of time?"

One is the use of "wrong Von-Kries" chromatic adaptation in adapting white
points between D65 and D50.

I'm not super well versed in the details of color management so I don't really understand what that means. As a point of reference, this is for a laptop that moves around a lot between various indoor/outdoor settings with differing lighting, so I'm calibrating based on the native white point of the display to maximize brightness.

Also, FWIW, the hue shift only appears to affect the blue channel. Saturated red and green appear fine.

The other is gamut mapping or clipping in L*a*b* space, since perceptually
constant hue lines have quite a curve on them near blue.

This I'm aware of and have bumped into before.

be warned than some systems/programs expect display profiles to be
matrix based, and choke on cLUT profiles.

The only things really used on this laptop are Photoshop CS5, web browsers, and (extremely rarely) the OSX built-in print driver for Epson. I *have* to get this working in Photoshop correctly. The browsers are a major but secondary concern, and the print driver is a "nice to have".

it has a certain smooth-brained appeal