[argyllcms] Re: Can anyone help with a weird OSX problem?

  • From: "Derek Wells" <sigma3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2014 12:23:11 +0100

Hi,

If I remember correctly, there were a number of parallel problems with
10.6-ish and blue / purple tinted screens

One was that fast user switching didn't handle the screen correctly
going from one user to another ... giving blue/magenta tinted screens:
Fix for that one was to disable fast user switching.

Some versions of 10.6 handled V4 profiles incorrectly. Not a problem
with Argyll, which produces V2 profiles, but you might want to check
that your other software is producing V2 profiles, not V4.

Another problem was that the MBPs of that generation had screen
backlights with primaries that were some distance from the sRGB
primaries ... especially the blue primary which was quite "purple". This
caused some smaller (matrix / shaper?) profiles to map saturated blues
to more purple tints on the screen. Note that the profile itself is
correct, within the constraints of the screen's performance.
A general fix was to go to larger patch counts and produce a larger,
look up table based, profile.

I hope this helps.

Derek