[argyllcms] Re: Can anyone help with a weird OSX problem?

  • From: Quartz <quartz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 19:54:04 -0400

A bit hard to see on the side view how much it pokes out.

It doesn't really poke out a whole lot. Those images were screenshots of the OSX Colorsync utility. I can try taking a bunch and compiling them into an animated gif or something if you think that would help. (Although, since you already have the raw profile you can probably open it in your own utility).

96.401697 0.000000
255.000000 [RGB] (clip)

That is almost exactly the RGB values you measured in Photoshop

That L*a*b* value has a delta E 1976 of 49.9 vs. the original sRGB blue!
Not great (delta E 2000 is 16.8, better, but still not great).
But that color isn't purple.

I haven't tried any printing or converting images between colorspaces, so I don't have any information on if that part is messed up or not. My main issue is that, as presented on screen, "blue" has almost 40% red mixed in yielding a strong purple cast that makes it very hard for me work.

 From what I
read online, Photoshop under windows on the same hardware may not be
affected either, but I haven't had time to test that personally.

Technically that seems unlikely (using the same profile).

It's probably worth it at this point for me to mess around with other OSXs and a windows copy of Photoshop to confirm all this.

Basically, yes. You could try finding one online, there's just no
guarantee it'll work well with your specific instrument/display combo,
but may be better than nothing.

Ok, fair enough.

Quato's iColor Display has a generic correction for
i1 Display 2 and Apple's Cinema Display with white LED backlight that
can be imported.
The Cinema Display has a gamut that is much closer to sRGB than the
MacBook screen, so I'm not sure if it'll help, but it may be worth a try.

Ok thanks, I'll try to figure out where I can find that.

I'd try these things (in order, and see if any of those improve things):

- Calibrate to native white point (&  profile)

I'm already using a native white point, as the laptop moves around a lot between different lighting setups.

- Create a XYZ LUT + swapped matrix profile (with default settings)
instead of curves&  matrix

As per my other email, there's an option here for XYZ LUT to use perceptual mapping rather than colormetric... should I enable that?

I'd not recommend buying a spectro just for the sake of creating a
correction for your i1 Display2. It may be an option if you plan to
profile other devices (e.g. printers).

Profiling printers is certainly something that's on my to-do list, there are a couple situations where I really ought to be doing that already. I'll have to set aside the time and money first though, which is a ways off.

If you want to replace the i1D2
with a better colorimeter

Should I? I mean, if the i1d2 is just so old and out of date that it's not useful anymore then yes, but I don't want to dump money into a newer device if that won't really solve the problem.

it has a certain smooth-brained appeal