[argyllcms] Can I calibrate crap?

  • From: Stephen T <stwebvanuatu@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 06:51:06 -0700 (PDT)

I have a fairly new laptop with LED backlit LCD.

I think my problem in calibration and profiling is a high black level, about 3
cd/m2. Contrast-ratio is poor even though brightness is pretty good, 112 cd/m2
at less than max backlight.
Before calibration my LCD has a distinct blueish cast.

After calibration with -gs option only the native WP is a bit warm and contrast
a bit flat.
Trying to force WP to 6500 results in a sick greenish-yellowish colour cast.
Using -f1.0 gives a contrasty look but kills the shadow detail, -f0.5 is better.
Red in a test image looks orangeish, with or without calibration. Profiling
corrects colors but everything comes out oversaturated.

Any tips on calibrating crap LCDs would be appreciated. I have tried
this before on an old Dell and gave up. I thought a new laptop would behave
better. I have also calibrated an old CRT and that was easy enough.

Cheers.

      Enjoy a safer web experience. Upgrade to the new Internet Explorer 8
optimised for Yahoo!7. Get it now.