[argyllcms] Re: Camera profiling with bracketing

  • From: Iliah Borg <ib@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 19:50:51 -0500

Dear Graeme,

Such shots are done using tripod and remote, so if user (or scanin) samples one
chart all other locations are the same. I prefer manual sampling (like it is
done in RPP) because that allows to avoid any imperfections right from the
start. It seems that profiles with manual sampling go easy to 6dE max, while
with scanin they are usually about 12 to 20 dE.

I would start with a merge utility that re-calculates spectral reference for
each individual .ti3 file based on the exposure of grey patches (around neutral
grey)

Flare (veiling glare) is from the chart, the lens, the chamber in the camera,
and the sensor itself. Flare is responsible for a lot of non-linearities in the
sensor response and in real world shooting it is strongly scene-dependent. For
cheaper lenses and poor filters veiling glare can reach 2/3 EV easily when
shooting a chart. Adding a simple black trap (hole) to a chart allows for a
good estimation of veiling glare.

--
Iliah Borg
ib@xxxxxxxxxxx