[argyllcms] Camera profiling generation and blown highlights

  • From: Pascal de Bruijn <pmjdebruijn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 23:44:38 +0100

Hi,

I've been experimenting again, with profiling my camera once more...
I'm retrying the CMP DT3 (not 003) target again, and initial results
are encouraging, but there a but :)

In the past I've had some issues with some profiles blowing out my
highlights, and I never got that really resolved.

I uploaded a test case to my website:

  http://files.pcode.nl/temp/ufraw-argyll-cmp-blowout-case.zip

IMG_3380.tif - Native (16bit) Linear Camera RGB
IMG_5804.ti3 - CGATS data from which the profiles were generated
IMG_5804_as.icc - colprof -qm -as
IMG_5804_aS.icc - colprof -qm -aS
IMG_5804.icc - colprof -qm -al

When applying all but the aS profile, I get odd color (cyanish)
artifacts in the highlights which got blown out by the profile.

The best general color rendition for images without problematic
highlights is the -qm -al profile.

I'd appreciate any tips and pointers, on how I could get the LAB LUT
profile to deal well with the highlights.

Compromises on accuracy are acceptable in dealing with the highlights.

Regards,
Pascal de Bruijn