[argyllcms] Re: Camera profiling?

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 11:51:52 +1000

Ben Goren wrote:

Will scanin give a recognizable warning, or should it just be the first thing I assume is worng if it complains?

The safest thing is to always run with -dipn and a diagnostic file
name at the end, and take a look at it before proceeding. It will be
pretty obvious if something has gone wrong. The other way is to
pay attention to the profile self fit error. Anything ridiculously
high is probably a mis-alignment.

It's the regular 24-patch kind

Hmm. I'd stick to a matix/shaper or even matrix/gamma profile if you
were using that chart then.

That was my first guess, but I can't see any hints of a halftone screen or dithering, even with an 8x loupe. It's printed on glossy photographic paper. (I'll have to be extra careful to avoid glare, I guess.) Dye sub, perhaps?

Maybe, the structure is very fine. At 25x I can see signs of a slight raster
structure, and the edges are relatively fuzzy, so Dye Sub sounds about right.