[argyllcms] Re: Camera calibration: LUT only as good as matrix?

  • From: Ben Goren <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2013 08:38:03 -0700

On Jul 4, 2013, at 8:31 AM, Iliah Borg <iliah.i.borg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Imagine blue filter in CFA allows red. Now if we have a lot of red in the
> light, the blue response is different, and blue chromaticity is determined as
> different.
> We are down to filter selectivity issue.

As Dr. Berns has demonstrated, this can be exploited if you can make multiple
exposures -- some with filters and some without.

He does this by treating the input as a camera with more than just the usual
three RGB channels, and by doing the spectral math to calculate tristimulus
values from the six- or nine-channel input (if using one or two different
filtered images in addition to the unfiltered one). However, I have an idea for
doing what may be a logically comparable transformation that you could do with
tools more friendly to photographers than Matlab....

Cheers,

b&