[argyllcms] Re: Camera calibration: LUT only as good as matrix?

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2013 18:41:36 +1000

Torsten Bronger wrote:

> indeed reduced.  This is a good thing.  But I would have thought
> that the *much* bigger flexibility of a LUT would decrease the maximal
> residual error drastically.  But this is not the case.  Some patches
> are still way off in a noticable way.  Why is this?  Is my workflow
> flawed, or is this as good as it gets?

Hi,

hard to say without a detailed investigation. But you get irreducible errors
when two patches are in conflict - ie. they have close to the same device
values, but have different CIE values. This can happen for a variety of
reasons, but one cause specific to input devices is if their spectral
sensitivity is different enough from the standard observer that they
"perceive" metameric matches quite differently.