[argyllcms] Re: Calibrating display in VMWARE

  • From: "Olivier Marchetta" <olivier.marchetta@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 18:33:42 +0200

I see that dispcal will use dispwin for some operations before calibration,
but the video card in VMWare seems to be very basic, it cannot be accessed
properly for that ? (guessing)
Here's the debug of my last try :

C:\Argyll_V1.0.1>cd bin
C:\Argyll_V1.0.1\bin>dispcal -D -v -yl -t6000 -g2.20 testprofile
MonitorEnumProc() called with hMonitor = 0x10001
MonitorEnumProc() set initial monitor info: 0,0 1916,1049 name
'\\.\DISPLAY1'
get_displays about to get monitor information for 0
EnumDisplayDevices failed on '\\.\DISPLAY1' Mon = 0
get_displays added description 'DISPLAY1, at 0, 0, width 1916, height 1049
(Primary Display)' to display 0
Setting up the instrument
spyd2: About to init coms
spyd2: About to init USB
icoms: About to set usb port characteristics
icoms: About to open the USB port
icoms: USB port needs opening
icoms: About to open USB port 'usb:/bus0/dev1 (ColorVision Spyder2)'
icoms: USB port is now open
icoms: Clearing any USB errors
icoms: usb port characteristics set ok
spyd2: init coms has suceeded
spyd2: About to init instrument
spyd2: Instrument reset
Reset complete, ICOM err 0x0
spyd2: Get Status
Get Status returns 3 ICOM err 0x0
spyd2: Get Status
Get Status returns 1 ICOM err 0x0
spyd2: about to read all the EEProm values
spyd2: all EEProm read OK
spyd2: about to download the PLD pattern
spyd2: Get Status
Get Status returns 0 ICOM err 0x0
spyd2: PLD pattern downloaded
spyd2: instrument inited OK
Instrument Type:   Spyder 2
Serial Number:     00739297
Hardwar version:   0x0307
About to open display '\\.\DISPLAY1'
dispwin_get_ramdac called
dispwin_set_color called
dispwin_set_ramdac called
dispwin_set_ramdac failed on SetDeviceGammaRamp()
set_ramdac() failed
dispwin_get_ramdac called
Place instrument on test window.
Hit Esc, ^C or Q to give up, any other key to continue:
Display type is LCD
Target white = 6000.000000 degrees kelvin Daylight spectrum
Target white brightness = native brightness
Target black brightness = native brightness
Target advertised gamma = 2.200000
Display adjustment menu:
Press 1 .. 7
1) Black level (CRT: Offset/Brightness)
2) White point (Color temperature, R,G,B, Gain/Contrast)
3) White level (CRT: Gain/Contrast, LCD: Brightness/Backlight)
4) Black point (R,G,B, Offset/Brightness)
5) Check all
6) Measure and set ambient for viewing condition adjustment
7) Continue on to calibration
8) Exit
Doing check measurements
dispwin_set_color called
dispwin_set_ramdac called
dispwin_set_ramdac failed on SetDeviceGammaRamp()
set_ramdac() failed
The instrument can be removed from the screen.
icoms: delete called
icoms: closing port
usb_close_port() called
usb port has been released and closed
dispwin_set_ramdac called
dispwin_set_ramdac failed on SetDeviceGammaRamp()
dispwin_del called
dispwin_set_ramdac called
dispwin_set_ramdac failed on SetDeviceGammaRamp()
Restored original ramdac
dispcal: Error - display read failed with 'Window Access Failed'

C:\Argyll_V1.0.1\bin>

  The diagnostic output (dispwin -E, or dispcal/dispread -D) is pretty