[argyllcms] Re: Calibrating a digital photo frame

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 10:21:56 +1100

Frédéric Mantegazza wrote:
Ok, I make some tests, using dispread (with the new -C option, to call a script just waiting for a key pressed). I generated 100 patches with printtarg, downloaded them to the photo frame, and launched dispread...

With such a limited number of patches you're probably best off generating
a shaper matrix profile (profile -as) - you may have already figured that out.

Once image are converted in its color space, they looks like better in the high lights, but the problem is now in dark areas: they are too dark, and there is a color shift (blue).

Hmm. Could be viewing angle related, or that the backlight isn't close
to what the i1display is calibrated for.

About conversion, I used jpegicc, from lcms project, but it does not seem to be a very good job: even with quality 100, the compression is really to much, and I see artefacts. I tried cctiff, but I need to convert images from jepeg to tif, than from tif to jpeg in order to download then in the photo frame. Is there a Argyll tool to convert jpeg files from one space to another?

No, sorry, there's nothing technically tricky about adding other
raster formats, I just haven't done so. I'd look at ImageMagick tookit
for tools to help your workflow.

Last question: do I have to specify a linear cal file with dispread? What if I does not give a cal file?

If it isn't given a cal file, it will not set VideoLUTs, and will assume
that you're profiling the display in it's current state. There will
be no vcgt tag in the resulting profile. This is probably what you want.