[argyllcms] Re: CRT controls

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 12:44:46 +1100

Rhys Evans wrote:
On 06/03/2008, Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The target values for black are the 1% values.

Yeah, that's what I generally aim for, is there a setting to specify
black in cd/m^2 or percentage though? There's -b for brightness so if
that's specified it should just be 1% of that yeah? So going below
that level would increase the contrast of the display but you'd make
the choice for yourself rather than the software setting it as a
target?

Currently there's no specific way of setting a black target. I understand
that some people do use a non-minimum black for proofing purposes,
where the stock they want to emulate has a not-very-black black, but
otherwise this would be unusual. The 1% mark is used as a concrete
readings which is extrapolated from the ideal black.