[argyllcms] Re: CMP Digital Target 3 (not 003)

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2009 00:57:52 +1100

Pascal de Bruijn wrote:

I _think_ these are photo paper targets... In what way would this affect
the results?

Photo papers use three colorants (CMY), so the resulting spectra
are always a combination of those three spectra. The real world has many
different spectra that appear to be the same color to our eyes,
and such a chart is only exercising one choice of them.

So as a result it is (theoretically) possible to model a typical
RGB sensors response to such a chart exactly, even if the sensors
spectral sensitivities aren't much like that of the human eye.

Exposed to real world spectra, the profile for such a sensor created
this way might be rather inaccurate.