[argyllcms] Re: CMP Digital Target 3 (not 003)

  • From: Andrew Asman <andrew.asman@xxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2009 09:55:27 -0500

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 6:49 PM, Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Pascal de Bruijn wrote:
>
>  However I was also looking for some comments about what to invest in...
>>

>  I'd like to hear your opinion on the target designs, and what is expected
>> to have the best results with Argyll.
>>

> It depends a bit on what sort of profiles you want to build.

From my experience with Argyll, unless you have an extremely high quality
colorimetric scanner, then you will receive the best results from a cLUT
based profile. Something like the it8 chart probably doesn't have enough
patches to make a high quality cLUT profile. I have found that the target
type should be determined by the type of output that will be measured. If
you are going to measure many different types of printed output then it my
be a good idea to create several profiles, one for each type. My work has
focused on measuring the output of EP printers, and I have found that the
best results by far come from using a target that was printed on an EP
printer. Obviously this has some drawbacks, because it requires that you
create your own reference data file and you may not have the tools required
to do that.

> If you're building cLUT based profiles, then you can never have too many
> patches.

I have tried to create cLUT based profiles using everywhere from 1000 -
20000 patches and have found that I actually get the best results when using
somewhere around 5000 patches. I'm not exactly sure what the reason for this
is, although I assume it mainly has to do with the uniformity of the patches
or what you described as evenness and fill.

Andrew Asman