[argyllcms] Blue Cast to Color Munki Profile

  • From: "Alan Goldhammer" <agoldhammer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 14:21:43 -0400

I did my first print profile using ColorMunki and a small 500 color patch
set.  The CM driver installed perfectly according to the directions and
stays associated with the CM after the computer is shut down and restarted.
I profiled Ilford Gold Fiber Silk, a paper that has low amounts of FWA in it
(see the spectral scan here:
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm ), without the
large bump at 440 nm.  In fact the spectrum curve is the flattest of any
paper that has OBAs that I've seen.  Unfortunately, this leads to a blue
cast with the profile when viewed in Photoshop.  I understand the physics
and chemistry behind all this (background is PhD in chemistry and I used a
lot of fluorescent compounds during my research days).  My understanding is
that since CM is a UV-cut instrument the normal Argyll -f switch does not
work (though my assumption may be wrong).  How does one deal with this
problem (the normal CM made profiles don't have any cast so their software
must adjust for it)?  Or would I have to purchase a non UV-cut spectro?

A standard test print with the CM Argyll generated profile turned out fine
in every respect and in some cases was superior to the CM profile that I had
been using (and far superior to the profile Ilford has on their website for
the Epson 3880.  Thanks in advance for answers to this.

Alan