[argyllcms] Re: Black-/White-Level Observer Dependency?

  • From: János, Tóth F. <janos666@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 00:23:19 +0200

I calibrated my display with 1964_10 observer settings today.

The white looks a little reddish for me. But this can be a good sign because
the EIZO paper mentioned that the WCG display looks bluish. If my display
was bluish in the last few months then my subjective perception should say
that it's reddish now (until I get used to it).

On the other hand, I think my fears was real.
I used the XYZ.10 coordinates of the primary colors for yCMS and I measured
back the corrected primaries with the FOV10 observer.
I calculated xy coordinates from the XYZ.10 values and I plot them on the
CIE chart (as usually). I looks weird! The gamut is very far from the target
gamut.
This gamut emulation was very good when I used the standard observer.

What is the problem?
I think the problem is that yCMS assumes input coordinates based on standard
observer measures. But it can be true for many other CMS softwares.
So, may be the white looks better but the gamut looks weird (according to my
measures and eyes).

The CIE chart shows that I have clipped blue (after corrections) and my eyes
can confirm it.
The native blue is very close to the target gamut primary, so it should be
uncorrected. But it significantly changes when I apply the corrections. So,
I think I can believe in my measures. The usage of a different observer with
usual CMS softwares is a bad idea.

Should I go back to the standard observer  or should I keep the FOV10
calibration and measure the primaries with the standard observer?