[argyllcms] Re: Black-/White-Level Observer Dependency?

  • From: János, Tóth F. <janos666@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 00:36:09 +0200

Today, I decided to try this 1964_10 observer calibration. But I am very
confused after the first steps.
I can use the "-Q 1964_10" command for dispcal but I can't use it for
dispread. (Or did I miss something? / Is the documentation outdated?)

I will have a VGA LUT with FOV10 based calibration but I will characterize
my calibrated display with FOV2 based XYZ values. So, a color managed
software should compensate this FOV10-FOV2 difference and I did nothing but
redundant image manipulations.

And (if I use spotread with 1964_10 observer after the FOV10 calibration)
can I feed a CMS software with XYZ.10 values?
I need primaries and white coordinates for gamut emulation and I think the
software assumes XYZ.2 coordinates. I doesn't sounds too good for me.
Or does it effect only the spectral data ---> XYZ coordinates calculations
and I am free to use these XYZ.10 coordinates in any softwares where I can't
set observer types?

I can't understand how XYZ.10 helps when everything else is based on XYZ.2
but I am not an expert, so...