[argyllcms] Re: Black turning down problem (the -r trick)

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 12:08:57 +1100

Nikolay Pokhilchenko wrote:
Graeme, I see an analogy with audio analog-to-digital conversion (2D
quantization -
time and amplitude). May be the profiler must automatically limit the harmonic
spectrum
of device response bumps when the bumps spectrum is wider than can "digitize"
the A2B.

Hi,
        I think that Gerhard has answered this well. The smoothing parameters
used
in creating the A2B are not about anti-aliasing, but instead sets a tradeoff
between
accurately interpolating the sample point values vs. reducing the effects of
sampling
inaccuracies (noise).

There is a fairly complicated process whereby the smoothing parameters are
set according to the notional measurement uncertainty (-r parameter), number
of sample points and number of input dimensions. Figuring out what numbers
to use for combinations of these three variables is not easy, and I can
well believe that they are not always optimal.