[argyllcms] Re: Best settings for an ancient CRT?

  • From: Quartz <quartz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 00:24:45 -0400

Eh ? dispcal is one of the programs that make up ArgyllCMS.

Oh ok, I for some reason I thought it was completely 3rd party.

I think that DispcalGUI provides some sort of verify report if you
ask it - how about trying that ?

I've used that before, but never totally trust a tool to verify its own work (no way to tell that it's not making the same mistake twice).

Either way, having it tell me the profile is "good enough" doesn't really help when I'm not totally sure that "good enough" is actually good enough.

Again, I fully understand what I'm dealing with here, I'm not expecting to get something amazing out of this monitor. I'm just wondering if there's a sort of best practices standard procedure for getting the likely best results in cases like these.

(There are manual ways of checking
the profile, but I'm guessing that you don't know the tools well
enough to figure out how to do it.)

To be honest I don't. I only happened across dispcal+argyll last week after getting fed up with my previous tools. My typical way of manually verifying profiles is very carefully inspecting a series of test images I have.

it has a certain smooth-brained appeal