[argyllcms] Re: Best settings for an ancient CRT?

  • From: Quartz <quartz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 01:52:47 -0400

DispcalGUI is a GUI front end for ArgyllCMS dipcal. Hence the name.
DispcalGUI was written by Florian_Hoch
I wrote ArgyllCMS.

Right. I knew it was a front end and that you were different people, which is why I thought it was strange when you said 'dispcal is part of argyll'. I thought that when people said "dispcal" it was shorthand for "dispcalGUI". I downloaded dispcalGUI because I wanted a fast way to get a profile out to see if it was Xrite's software causing my MacBook issue or not, so I hadn't really learned how argyll itself worked yet. (To be honest, I'm probably going to stick with argyll in the future now that I've seen it, it gives me a lot more control).

But anyway, name confusion aside, I'm still wondering if there's a set of best practices when dealing with old monitors, or if I should just pick something that looks good and call it a day.

it has a certain smooth-brained appeal