[argyllcms] Best Practices

  • From: Martin Lederhilger <martin.lederhilger@xxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2014 23:10:31 +0200

Hello,

 I have a few questions regarding printer calibration and profiling (I
have read the documentation and typical usage scenarios. Used tools:
CMYK-printer, Eye-One Pro2, Argyll CMS):

Why, or should I do a calibration? Isn't the behaviour already captured
in the profile itself if using a non calibrated workflow? Is calibration
done to reach a nearly linear response, so that afterwards for profiling
the interpolation error in CLUT lookup is reduced?

Another question: When chartread has read all strips successfully, then
is the read information for each patch assumed to be accurate (I mean
that no patch is an outlier)? Should I average multiple reads, or move
the device slower over the strips, or is the increase in accuracy
negligible?

Thank you for your answers,

Martin