[argyllcms] B2A vs Inverse A2B?

  • From: Jason Campbell <campbell.jj76@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 14:05:28 -0400

I am new to Argyll and trying to understand something about one of the
behaviors in color lookups...

I have a profile built:
./colprof -v -qm -bm -kz -l400 -L0 -cpp -dpp testoutput

My goal is a CMY-only profile with absolutely no K generation which appears
to be happening.  However I realized if I round-trip a CMY of 100/100/100
from CMY->Lab->CMY, I was getting a clipped value (roughly 98/97/95).  If I
test CMY 50/40/40 my round-trip is extremely close to the input values.

Plots using:
./xicclu -v2 -g -fif -ia testoutput4.icc  # Inverse A2B
./xicclu -v2 -g -fb -ia testoutput4.icc  # Reverse; B2A (Actual lookup)

I could see apparent clipping in the plot.  The Inverse A2B resulted in a
100/100/100 maximum CMY whereas the B2A lookup mimicked the clipping I
describe above.  Do I need to alter the colprof command in some way to
create a B2A LUT without the apparent clipping?  Is it related to the use of
the -cpp and -dpp switches?

I realize that I am essentially asking that the Inverse A2B and B2A end up
identical...  Since I am using other tools in my testing, I need to access
only the B2A table (A2B not used in my application).  I need Lab->CMY
lookups without the clipping I am observing up around 90%+.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!