[argyllcms] Aw: Re: Re: Instrument Access Failed

  • From: "Lars-Daniel Weber" <fsound@xxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2015 07:10:34 +0200

Graeme Gill wrote:

Can you add some kind of "resume from the last test" after the error occurs?

I don't know - it depends on whether the error is recoverable. I suspect
it is not - i.e. that the whole instrument driver and application state would
have to be saved, torn down, re-built and restored. This would be
a lot of work and very tricky to test and maintain, all to work around
an error that shouldn't happen.

What about a simple close of the virtual COM-port and re-initialization of it
when the communcation error occures. You could loop the "press any key" menu
until you quit it. Then you don't need to save any additional states or data.

Far less work and a better result to fix the error.

Sure, I'll debug soon :)

The point is that the instrument drifts, and so needs recalibrating.
The initial calibration on each application start can be avoided
by using the -N flag, which is useful if you are using tools in
quick succession, but there is a timeout as well, and if it's too
long since the last calibration the calibration can't be avoided.

It takes about 2-3 seconds to restart the application, after I got the timeout
:)
The device works again immediately.