[argyllcms] Re: Avoiding Driver installation under WindowsXP

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 08:48:30 +1100

Roger Breton wrote:

I noticed too that the password is only required the very first time the
device is plugged in the machine. I noticed that, subsequently, when I plug
in the device a second or third or fourth times Windows does not prompt me
for the administrator's password anymore. If that's the way things work
under Windows, maybe the easiest thing to do is to go around all the
machines in the lab, with the technician, the night before the class, and
plug in the devices into all the machines?

I'm not familiar with this, as it must be an issue when the machines
are configured with user accounts that do not have administrative
permission (much safer, but then there are issues such as the above.)

The bottom line is that you will need to have someone with
administrative privileges do something, but the cleverer
approaches will install the necessary USB drives at installation
time, and this could possibly be done remotely.

For Argyll, I've tried to avoid having to run an installer, but this
means that that the USB driver installation then happens on plugging
the instrument in, or has to be done manually.
So, unfortunately I think you will have to go around
and plug the instrument in for each machine :-(