[argyllcms] Avoiding Driver installation under WindowsXP

  • From: Roger Breton <graxx@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2008 16:38:44 -0500

I am setting up Argyll on the school's computer for my upcoming color
classes with my students. Problem comes up when using USB-type of devices
such as the i1d2, the i1pro and the Optix.

So far so good. I lumped everything into one directory so the students won't
have to worry about PATH statements and other environment setup.

To this group's knowledge, is there a way to create the binding between the
various instruments supported by Argyll and libusb0.dll and libusb0.sys that
*would not* require the user entering an administrative password? You know,
when one of the instruments is plugged into the USB port for the first time,
Windows will prompt the user for the driver's location.

I am trying to avoid the students having to call the lab technician to enter
the Administrator's password for each machine which the lab technician hates
to do ...

I am searching the net but not finding any command-line way of installing a
device driver under Windows.

I noticed too that the password is only required the very first time the
device is plugged in the machine. I noticed that, subsequently, when I plug
in the device a second or third or fourth times Windows does not prompt me
for the administrator's password anymore. If that's the way things work
under Windows, maybe the easiest thing to do is to go around all the
machines in the lab, with the technician, the night before the class, and
plug in the devices into all the machines?

I am just trying to avoid any troubles that will bogg down the progress of
the class the night of the lab. Last year was a nightmare :(

Roger Breton