[argyllcms] Re: Autotools again...

  • From: Gerhard Fuernkranz <nospam456@xxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 21:44:46 +0200

Yet another heretical idea to resolve any name conflicts might be:

* Place all executables not in /usr/bin,
  but in /usr/lib/argyll-0.51a/

* Create a script /usr/bin/argyll, containing

  #!/bin/sh
  PATH=/usr/lib/argyll-${ARGYLL_VERSION-0.51a}:$PATH
  export PATH
  exec "$@"

Then the commands could be called as e.g.

   "argyll profile ..."

or

   "argyll icclink ..."

or
   "ARGYLL_VERSION=0.50 argyll cctiff ..."
   (to run an older version of the command)

etc.

Regards,
Gerhard

-----Original Message----- From: argyllcms-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:argyllcms-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Graeme Gill Sent: Friday, October 07, 2005 4:29 PM To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [argyllcms] Re: Autotools again...

Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
> An additional point is the name conflict with littleCMS about icclink.

> Can you make the installation of icclink optional untill the issue
> might be solved otherwise (like renaming)?

I keep thinking about this, but haven't struck on a good alternative.
Simple things like "plink" etc. are already widely used for other tools.
"argylllink" is too long winded, "agllink" is too cryptic. Got any
suggestions ? (I'd want to change "profile" as well, as it clashes with
some system tools). Besides, I got to "icclink" first! :-)

> would you consider taking these changes into your package and allow an

> double build system? It would help accepting your package for
> distributors on Linux.

I'm prepared to distribute it, but I'm not prepared to maintain it.