[argyllcms] Re: Autotools again...

  • From: "Alastair M. Robinson" <blackfive@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 15:55:45 +0100

Hi,

Graeme Gill wrote:

Well, a lot of projects are a "scratch your own itch" type of
thing, and some peoples itches are different from others.

Absolutely - none of this is intended as a criticism of your decision to use JAM...

Again it's all trade-offs. I went for making it as bullet proof as possible,
rather than letting people scratch around finding the right
dependencies. It does make for duplication though. When I note the
difficulties people have building gimp on MSWindows, I think I made
the right decision.

I'm with you on the Win32 GIMP build. I'd love to be able to build my Separate plugin on Win32, but I just don't have the time to get everything together. GIMP does have some very demanding dependencies too...

But of course one of the features of open source, is that people can
cook it up the way they want it.

Indeed. My hope is that an autotools version will make it far easier to fold Argyll into Linux (or BSD for that matter) distributions...

> I'm prepared to distribute it, but I'm not prepared to maintain it.

That's fair enough - I've already said I'll maintain it.

I'll update it to reflect the changes that have already been suggested, and then we can look in more details at any renaming that might be neccessary...

All the best,
--
Alastair M. Robinson