[argyllcms] Re: Asus PA246Q anyone?

  • From: Chris Lilley <chris@xxxxxx>
  • To: "Fabrizio Giudici" <Fabrizio.Giudici@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 17:48:43 +0100

On Tuesday, March 20, 2012, 2:52:52 PM, Fabrizio wrote:

FG> Waiting for some payments to be finalized, I'm considering to buy a new,
FG> wide-gamut monitor. One of the candidates is currently the Asus PA246Q and
FG> I'm curious to know whether somebody has got experience of it when used
FG> with Argyll and a i1 Display Pro sensor.

Yes, I own two of them - one bought for myself for use as a digital photography
workstation and a second one bought when my wifes' ancient Diamondtron suddenly
expired. She uses it for digitalartwork (Painter, wacom).

I primarily use it with i1D3 (i1 Display Pro colorimeter) and the x-rite
supplied software under Windows 7, and either on the native or AdobeRGB
settings; also on sRGB if the need arises. The 'custom' setting with 6-way
rgbcmy balance should be avoided due to non-linearities in this mode (which is
unfortuneate,because on the other settings, white balance has to be set with
the video card LUTs rather than the 12-bit internal monitor LUTs.

I have also calibrated it with Argyll under Linux (OpenSUSE 12.1) and will have
another go with the new release under Win7 too. 9I uninstalled Argyll under
Win7 because the Argyll LUT loader and the x-rite LUT loader conflicted).

It provides a very good and exactly 100% by volume sRGB mode with the correct
sRGB transfer curve. It provides a very usable, 98% by volume, AdobeRGB mode
(the green is a little less saturated and not the same luminance as the
AdobeRGB colour space).

The 'standard' mode works well as a greater-than AdobeRGB mode.

Stability over time seems good, based on frequent calibration verification and
bi-weekly re calibration. Uniformity across the screen is adequate, reasonable
for the price; if you need better then a (much more expensive) monitor with
active linearisation circuitry.

Each monitor comes with an individual calibration QA report for sRGB and
AdobeRGB modes, measured with a Minolta something (if I find where I put the
report I will post the details).

Good detailed reports are scarce, most online reports just repeat the
manufacturer's blurb. However this multi-page report from prad.de is thorough.
http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2011/review-asus-pa246q.html

I can send some ICC profiles if looking at them would help.

 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG