[argyllcms] Re: Asking the user to switch modes when calibrating

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 23:46:56 +0100

Richard Hughes wrote:
In GNOME Color Manager we're parsing the argyll output to show the
user nice clicky dialogs. At the moment we ask the user to set the
devices to different modes, but:

 GetStatus Sensor pos. Calibration, Button state Released, ICOM err 0x0
Set instrument sensor to calibration position,

This shows argyll knows that the device is in calibration mode, and
asks the user to set it to calibration mode. It doesn't make any
sense.

Looking at the code, the detailed instrument specific information
isn't passed up to this level, so the advice is generic.
(ie. there's no bug, it's operating as intended). Changing this would
add extra complexity for not a whole lot in return I think. (For instance,
without this advice the user doesn't know that a calibration is being
performed, and could change the instrument position during the calibration).
Another way of "fixing" this would be to change the advice to
"Check that the instrument sensor is set to the calibration position...".

If the user has the instrument set to the wrong position and
attempts to calibrate, then the munki driver will pass back an
error, and the error reporting callback will hint that the
instrument isn't in the right position.