[argyllcms] Re: Argyllcms 1.0.1 packaged in fedora-devel

  • From: "Frederic Crozat" <fred@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 19:39:55 +0200

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 7:26 PM, Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Frederic Crozat wrote:
>
>> When I read this, I have the feeling you don't want your software being
>> easily
>> available to millions of Linux users out there. Too bad :(
>
> I don't see any point in the interested users getting something that
> doesn't work. It creates disappointment and aggravation for all concerned.

Where did you see any breaking of Argyllcms 1.0.0 on Mandriva Linux Cooker ?

>> I'm not interested in Windows (or MacOS X), since we don't have any
>> control on the "platform".
>
> No, but I am, since I support a wider audience. You at least need to
> respect this.

I do. But you should also respect people who want to improve the
entire platform.

>> Sorry, but my goal is to create a "clean" platform, where this kind of
>> hacks are not needed. If you were distributing a patch of your change
>> on libusb in your tarball, at least, we wouldn't have to hunt after
>> those changes.
>
> You seem to be going out of your way to break things, with the
> justification of being "clean" (whatever that means!). I don't
> see any point being "clean" and not working. It may be aesthetically
> pleasing, but it's also useless. Since I have little idea
> what particular version of libusb various platforms use and
> have no desire to track this sort of thing (development
> is hard enough as it is!) it's difficult to provide patches,
> and far simpler and safer to provide a cohesive version that
> is known to work.

I didn't request a patch against every libusb out of the market, just
against the "upstream" version you have patched. Since you don't
change libusb version, it is a one time thing. Of course, having a
public VCS to track the various changes of argyllcms would make those
patches useless (but I digress).

And again, I ask the question : where did I broke Argyllcms 1.0.0 on
Mandriva Linux Cooker ?
--
Frederic Crozat